Like other professions, engineering involves a skill or knowledge that cannot be evaluated easily by the general public. By meeting standards in education and experience, professional engineers demonstrate that they have the skills and knowledge needed to perform their jobs. In 1985, the Government of Saint Lucia enacted the Engineers Registration Act to regulate the practice of professional engineering. Engineers achieving this professional qualification in Saint Lucia can use the post nominal letters PEng. 

The Act established the Engineers Registration Board (ERB) to administer the Act. The ERB comprises six members appointed by the Minister of Infrastructure, Ports, Energy and Labour. Four of the members are Registered Professional Engineers recommended by APESL. The other two members include the Minister’s representative and the Attorney General’s Representative. The Chairman is elected by the Board members. The Registrar of the High Court is responsible for maintaining and publishing the list of Registered Professional Engineers annually in February in the Saint Lucia Government Gazette. Find out more about the ERB here.


What qualifications and knowledge do you need to become professionally qualified?

There are two stages to becoming a Registered Professional Engineer in Saint Lucia. This is based on:

  • Your academic qualifications
  • Your work experience (also called initial professional development)

The ERB has defined requirements for acceptable academic qualifications and work experience. Download a printable copy here.


Applying for Professional Registration 

To apply for professional registration, you will need to submit the following to the Secretary of the ERB:

You will need signatures from 2 referees, one of whom must be a locally Registered Professional Engineer

  • A cover letter addressed to the Secretary of the ERB indicating the engineering discipline that you will be applying for 
  • Certified copy of your photo identification
  • Certified copies of your qualifications

If your qualification is in a foreign language, you will need to have it translated to English and certified as being a true and correct translation of your qualifications.

  • Two copies of your Engineering Experience Record signed by your supervisor who should be a Registered Professional Engineer or an individual of equal standing